Holding an event

1. Overview

If you want to hold an event in a public space, the following information should help answer your questions and get you started.  We welcome events to our region, although there are many things to consider when giving approval for events, including public safety and ensuring minimal disruption to others, and so we do need to find out more and sometimes to consider an application from you to hold an event.

Public spaces include parks, reserves, beaches, recreation areas, streets and footpaths, lookouts, among others. 

You can search our facilities below to find a location for your event and then refer to the information below to complete any required applications.

Check our Public spaces page to see if your event may be impacted by Alcohol free zones and alcohol prohibited areas.

Search outdoor facilities Search community buildings View events calendar

2. Book a Council facility for your event (including sports fields, parks, swimming pools)

Our online booking service allows users to book various Council venues for sporting events, community events and private functions.

Parks – Private functions such as weddings, small community events

Sports Grounds – Sporting clubs single use & seasonal usage, school use

Outdoor Community Pools – school use, swim club, swimming lessons

Showgrounds – motor home camping, animal events such as pony club and dressage, community events

Beaches – monthly surf competitions, weddings.

Use our online venue booking system here

3. How do I apply to hold a larger event?

To hold an event on Council owned land, an Event Application form may be required to be completed and submitted to Council.

If you want to make an enquiry on holding an event on Council owned land please contact the MidCoast Council Events Liaison Officer on 7955 7777.

Your event will require an Event Application to be completed if:

  • The event requires Council services (eg power, lighting, waste services) or exclusive use of public facilities (ie toilets / amenities).

and/or has any of the following:

  1. The event is likely to attract an audience of more than 100 people;

  2. The event is open to the public (free or ticketed);

  3. The event requires full or partial closure of a road;

  4. Temporary structures will be erected;

  5. The event will have amusement and/or inflatable devices;

  6. Food will be sold or served;

  7. Alcohol will be sold or served;

  8. Wine tasting and/or craft beer tasting is proposed;

  9. the event is a one-off sporting activity.

If your event proposes the above activities or features, an Event Application will need to be completed.

Event Application

It is likely that in conjunction with an event application, you may need to complete one or more of the form/s listed below:

For a comprehensive list of forms that may be required to be completed if holding a larger event, please go to our Forms Library Events section.

Fees will apply to some applications forms. Council's Fees and Charges can be found here.

Where an event is to be held on private land, please inquire with Council's Development & Planning section.

4. Can I Conduct a Business on Public Land?

If you wish to conduct your business from public land you will need to enter into a licence agreement with Council.  Some examples when a licence is needed are Fitness Groups, Surf Schools, Stand-up Paddle Boards etc or any activity where you are deriving an income from the use of public space or assets. To assist staff when assessing your request it is recommended you supply as much information as possible on your proposed activities including, but not limited to, the following:

  • Type of activity

  • Foreshore area to be used as a base to set up / set down

  • Hours of operation

  • Days of operation

  • Qualifications

  • Level on public liability insurance

  • Class sizes

  • Are you in competition with another operator

  • Equipment used

  • Does the equipment have workcover / safety Certificates?

5. Can we hold a wedding in a public space?

The MidCoast is abundant with beautiful beaches, waterways, rivers, headlands, and rustic rural settings - perfect for outdoor wedding ceremonies.  We are happy for you to enjoy your special day in our beautiful outdoors, but you need to book the venue. Here is a few things you need to consider:

  • you can’t hold your wedding reception in any public space;

  • public land is for everyone - we are unable to give you exclusive use of public spaces, so we request that you do not disturb other users of the facility;

  • and rice and confetti are not allowed on any reserve or beach - we need to keep the area beautiful!

  • There is a $100 application fee to use the park for weddings.

Use our online venue booking system to book your wedding or special ceremony. We will also need the following additional information:

  • the approximate number of guests (so any parking issues can be sorted out).

  • tell us about any special items you will be bringing to the ceremony (such as carpet, seating, tables, arches, flowers, etc)

6. Can I place signage for my event?

In the Great Lakes and Gloucester, you can apply to erect signage as part as your application.

In the Manning, you may also apply to promote your event in the lead-up, by installing signage in selected roadside locations.  For information on locations, conditions and to make an application, complete the Community Event Signage application form(PDF, 829KB).

7. Can I hold a street stall?

Across the MidCoast, Council's Vibrant Spaces initiative aims to encourage vibrant street spaces. Visit the link to register to hold a stall for non-profit organisations.

8. Can I have a temporary food stall?

You will need to supply Council with a Temporary Food Stall Notification form

Completed forms should be submitted at a MidCoast Council office or emailed to council@midcoast.nsw.gov.au

Stall set-up and design must comply with NSW Guidelines for Temporary Food Events, and you will need to attach a drawn plan of the stall and specify how food products and preparation will be protected.

Any food handlers must have appropriate training skills and knowledge in food safety as required.

9. Market Applications

Council recognises that well managed markets activate and bring vibrancy to public spaces enhancing economic potential while promoting healthy lifestyles and encouraging local production, distribution and consumption of food and other goods.

In March 2019, Council adopted a markets policy which relates to markets throughout the MidCoast Council local government area. The policy applies to all regular markets held on Council owned land and/or Council controlled public land including halls and public buildings.

Application for regular markets must be submitted online using the application form below.

All applicants should review the Market application guidelines(PDF, 297KB) before completing the application.

Applications should consist of the following documents:

The application period for markets in the former Great Lakes region will open on Monday 30 March 2020 and close on Friday 1 May 2020.

10. Do I need to apply to busk?

Across the MidCoast region, Council's Vibrant Spaces initiative outlines how to busk. 

11. Event Sponsorship

For event sponsorship opportunities and information, visit our Grants & Funding page.

12. Can I promote my event on Council's website?

No. Our website events list only shows all of the Council run events including Council meetings, community engagement and educational events, as well as events held at our libraries, gallery and Entertainment Centre.

For tourism events visit barringtoncoast.com.au/events. See what's on within the Barrington Coast and discover the best of our destination.

If you want to list your tourism event, you can email your event details to marketing@midcoast.nsw.gov.au

If you are holding a community event anywhere in the MidCoast region, you can list it and your community group or organisation for free on our community directory MyMidCoast.com.au


Register here to set up your listing