Pet registration

One of the responsibilities of pet ownership, is microchipping and registration. This means we can find you if your pet strays or gets lost. You also need to let us know if you move, you no longer own your pet, or your pet dies.


Register your pet

Step 1.Microchip 

All cats and dogs, other than exempt animals, must be microchipped by 12 weeks of age or before being sold or given away, whichever happens first.

A vet or accredited implanter can microchip your pet and fill out a Permanent Identification form. The vet or implanter will forward the form to Council to have your pet entered on the NSW Companion Animals Register.You will then be sent a Certificate of Identification and Lifetime Registration form.

Step 2.Registration details

To register your pet, you need to complete the Lifetime Registration Form(PDF, 147KB) and bring it to any Council customer service office, or submit online.

Alternatively, you can complete registration (and all updating) directly with the NSW Government, online at 

Some discounts apply for desexed animals and also for owners who are pensioners. To receive these you will need to present evidence by way of a desexing certificate or a pensioner card.

The desexing age for:

  • a dog is 6 months of age
  • a cat is 4 months of age
  • a cat is 6 months of age

Please refer to Council's Fees and Charges - Companion Animals Act, for registration fees.

Working dogs and guide dog have to be registered, however no registration fees apply. A ‘working dog’ means that your dog is used primarily for the purpose of droving, tending, working or protecting stock. A Statutory Declaration will need to be completed.

Step 3.Submit registration

The completed Lifetime Registration Form(PDF, 147KB) can be taken to any Council customer service office, or submitted online.

Submit registration



Change of address or owner

You need to let Council know within 14 days if you give away or sell your pet.

If you change address you will need to complete the Change of Address Form(PDF, 119KB). This should be done within 14 days of moving or penalties may apply.

It is the responsibility of the original or “old” owner to ensure the Change of Owner form(PDF, 150KB) is signed and completed by both parties. Changes of phone number should also be done on the Change of Owner Form(PDF, 150KB).

All forms together with proof should be mailed to Council. Alternatively, the whole process can be completed at any of our customer service centres.

Death of an animal

Owners of companion animals (dog or cat) are required to notify the Council within 28 days of the death of an identified or registered companion animal.

Clause 30 of the Companion Animals Regulation 2008 provides that notification of the death of an animal may be made in writing, by completing the Notice of Deceased Animal form.

Council also requires a copy of the Certificate of Euthanasia from the Veterinarian or a Statutory Declaration stating that the animal is deceased/deceased date, signed by a Justice of the Peace.

Rules for selling a cat or dog

As a result of the Parliamentary Inquiry into Companion Animal Breeding Practices, from 1 July 2019, people advertising kittens, cats, puppies or dogs for sale or to give away in NSW will need to include an identification number in advertisements.

The identification number can be either:

  • a microchip number
  • a breeder identification number, OR
  • a rehoming organisation number.

The rules will apply to all advertisements, including those in newspapers, local posters, community notice boards and all forms of online advertising, including public advertisements on websites such as the Trading Post, Gumtree and social media sites.

For further information about the changes, visit the Department of Primary Industries website.