Plumbing inspections

We are responsible for undertaking plumbing and drainage inspections across the MidCoast.

Inspections are required for all plumbing and drainage work completed on any development. All supporting documentation must be submitted before any work commences.

The licenced plumber undertaking the works must notify our plumbing inspectors at least one business day before the inspection is needed.

Inspections are required at a number of stages throughout the construction phase of the development to ensure compliance.

A final inspection is also required after the Certificate of Compliance and Sewer Service Diagrams have been submitted. Following this, we will release the Occupation/Operation Certificate.

As part of the development process, you’ll need to complete a Plumbing Inspection Application and pay the associated fee.

What needs to be inspected?

All plumbing and drainage works need to be inspected, including:

  • all new dwellings and renovations that include plumbing work
  • all commercial and industrial developments and extensions that include plumbing and drainage works.

Our inspectors will check compliance for:

  • hot and cold water pipework, fixtures and fittings
  • hot water systems including tempering valves
  • pools, pool pumps and pipework
  • drainage pipework including the surcharge gullies (over-flow gully)
  • backflow prevention devices (boundary protection and zone protection)
  • trade waste infrastructure (for non-domestic wastewater developments).

These inspections ensure that the works completed by the licenced plumber are compliant with the Plumbing Code of Australia and also Australian Standard AS/NZS 3500.

For additional information, please contact us on 1300 133 455. You can also visit the Fair Trading website to find out more about plumbing inspection documents.

Documents for plumbers

Sewer service diagrams

To apply for a sewer service diagram or sewer location diagram (sewer drainage diagram), please submit an application.

Lodging sewer service diagrams

Sewer service diagrams must be submitted on a NSW Fair Trading template (found above).

These diagrams must include details of existing drainage and need to be authorised by the licenced plumbing contractors.

The sewer service diagram, along with the contractors’ Certificate of Compliance, needs to be submitted to our Plumbing Inspector at the time of final inspection.

You can contact us on 1300 133 455 if you have any questions that aren't answered below or you require further information.

Frequently Asked Questions

What if the Sewer Service Diagram won’t fit on either A4 or A3?

If the Sewer Service Diagram can’t be drawn onto either A4 or A3, you can use a larger paper size (A2 and A1). Any sizes larger than A3 should be submitted electronically as a PDF document.

As the licenced plumbing contractor, do I have to draw the Sewer Service Diagram myself?

No, you don’t have to draw the Sewer Service Diagram yourself, but you must authorise it before it’s submitted. You can engage a drafting consultant or someone else to complete the Sewer Service Diagram on your behalf.

Does the Sewer Service Diagram have to be drawn to scale?

Yes, the Sewer Service Diagram must be drawn to scale. NSW Fair Trading has preferred scales of 1:100, 1:200, 1:250 and 1:500. Other scales can be used, but the range prescribed by NSW Fair Trading should be sufficient for most development types.

Does the Sewer Service Diagram have to include existing drainage details?

Yes, the Sewer Service Diagram must include all details of existing drainage. Where a Sewer Service Diagram of an existing property is not available, the licensee conducting new work must investigate the existing drainage to make sure it’s connected and working. The assumed drainage must be shown on the Sewer Service Diagram as a dashed line (refer to the SSD symbols template and instructions above).

Call us on 1300 133 455 if you have any further questions.


Backflow prevention

Our Backflow Prevention Policy requires all properties connected to our water supply network to have appropriate backflow prevention devices in place.

What is backflow?

Backflow is the reverse flow of potentially contaminated liquid into the drinking water supply network. It is considered a serious threat to public health and can occur when:

  • The pressure in a property’s internal plumbing system is higher than the pressure of the water supply network
  • There is reduced pressure in the water supply network, often as the result of a burst main or during a period of excessive demand.

Backflow prevention requirements

All properties must be assessed to determine what level of backflow prevention they require to protect the drinking water supply system. A licenced plumber who has undertaken accredited backflow training must complete this assessment and submit a Department of Fair Trading Certificate of Compliance. Council reserves the right to overrule the assessment if it is deemed too low.

If a property is assessed as a low, medium or high hazard, it is the owner’s responsibility to have a backflow prevention device installed within the property boundary in accordance with AS/NZS 3500.1 and the Plumbing Code of Australia.

A licensed and accredited plumber must also certify and install this device. It must then be registered with Council.

Annual testing, certification and registration

All testable backflow prevention devices require annual testing, certification and registration. This process must be carried out by a licensed plumber who has undertaken accredited backflow training and is registered within our database.

Notification will be sent to customers 30 days prior to the date their annual registration is due. Failure to provide certification by the due date may result in compliance action being taken and the application of appropriate fees.

Customers will be required to pay an annual registration fee for each backflow prevention device. This fee covers the administration costs associated with the program. Refer to our Fees and Charges for the current fee.

We use QR code system BackFlowID to manage our backflow prevention program. This system simplifies the annual testing, certification and registration process and provides real-time updates on the status of backflow prevention devices that impact our network, including those that have not been registered. To become a registered user, contact Amtac on (07) 3380 4600.

Refer to the following document for instructions on how to use BackFlowID(PDF, 5MB).

Further information:

Backflow Prevention Procedure(PDF, 188KB)


Liquid trade waste

Liquid trade waste is defined as all liquid waste other than domestic sewage.

We are responsible for regulating liquid trade waste across the MidCoast.

Under section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993 (the Act), anyone wishing to discharge liquid trade waste to our sewerage systems must obtain prior approval from MidCoast Council. Discharging liquid trade waste without an approval is an offence under section 626 of the Act.

To discuss your requirements, please call us on 1300 133 455.

For more information see our Liquid Trade Waste Approvals(PDF, 139KB) information document.

Download our Liquid Trade Waste Policy here(PDF, 558KB)

Download our Application to discharge liquid trade waste to sewerage systems here(PDF, 847KB)

Water meters

If our water network is available in your area, you will need to complete a Water Meter Installation Application form to connect your home to it. In some cases, you may also need to provide a locality sketch indicating where you would like the water meter installed on your property (not required for a pre-laid service).

In order to reduce delays when building a new home, you should lodge your Water Meter Installation Application form at the same time as you lodge your Local Development Application form and plans.

If you have an existing water meter at your property and you’d like to move it to a new location, you can use the same Water Meter Installation Application form.

If your property hasn't been connected to our water network before and an access charge hasn't been paid, section 64 Developer Contributions may be levied on any development on the land. To find out if this applies to your property, or if you have any questions regarding water service connections, please contact us on 1300 133 455.

Water meter replacement program

We’re currently undertaking a program to replace all water meters more than 15 years old. This will help ensure we’re getting accurate readings for everyone’s quarterly accounts.

About the program

We regularly test our customers’ meters to make sure they meet Australian standards. These standards state that water meters should be accurate to within plus or minus two per cent.

Recently, our tests have shown that older meters are exceeding this standard after about 12-14 years. As a result, we’re replacing all meters more than 15 years old.

When meters start to fail, the readings lose their accuracy. This usually results in customers being charged for less water than they’ve used. If your water meter has recently been replaced, you may find your next account is slightly higher in usage and cost as a result of the improved accuracy.

How it works

We will automatically replace all meters over 15 years old.

If you’re at home when our contractor arrives to replace your meter, they will let you know when they’re going to disconnect your water to complete the work, and when it has been restored. Unless they encounter technical difficulties, the entire process should only take 15 to 20 minutes.

Authority to enter your property for the purpose of replacing your water meter is issued under section 191A of the Local Government Act 1993.

At no time will the contractor need to enter your house.

If you would like more information about this program, please contact us on 1300 133 455.