Department of Fair Trading documents for plumbers

Please find below links to a number of Department of Fair Trading documents plumbers are required to complete and submit to Council as part of their work.

Notice of work

Certificate of Compliance

Sewer Service Diagrams:

Plumbing inspections

MidCoast Council is responsible for undertaking plumbing and drainage inspections across the region.

Inspections are required on all plumbing and drainage works which are completed during new builds and renovations for all development types.

The licenced plumber undertaking the works is required to notify our plumbing inspectors at least one business day prior to an inspection being needed.

Inspections are required to be undertaken at a number of stages throughout the construction phase of the development to ensure compliance.

A final inspection is also required to be completed prior to the release of the Occupation Certificate.

As part of the development process, you will be required to complete a Plumbing Inspection Application and pay the associated fee.

What is required to be inspected?

All plumbing and drainage works undertaken are required to be inspected including:

  • all new dwellings and renovations which include plumbing work
  • all commercial and industrial developments and extensions which include plumbing and drainage works

These inspections will check compliance for:

  • hot and cold water pipework, fixtures and fittings
  • hot water systems including tempering valves
  • pools, pool pumps and pipework
  • drainage pipework including the surcharge gullies (over-flow gully)
  • backflow prevention devices (boundary protection and zone protection)
  • trade waste infrastructure (for non-domestic wastewater developments)

These inspections ensure that the works completed by the licenced plumber are compliant with the Plumbing Code of Australia and also Australian Standard AS/NZS 3500, giving you peace of mind that your house or business is safely connected to the water and sewer network, ensuring that your family's health and safety is not at risk.

For additional information, or if you have any questions, please contact us on 1300 133 455 or visit the Fair Trading website for information relating to plumbing inspection documents.

Water meters

If Council's water network is available in your area, you may be able to apply to have the service connected to your home.

In order to have the water service connected at your property, you will need to complete the Water Meter Installation Application form. In some cases, you may need to also provide a locality sketch indicating where you would like the water meter installed on the property (not required for a pre-laid service).

In order to reduce delays in having a service connection provided to your property when you are building a new home, it is advisable to lodge the Water Meter Installation Application form at the same time as you lodge the Local Development Application form and plans.

If you have an existing water meter at your property and you would like to relocate the meter to a new location, you can utilise the same Water Meter Installation Application form and process outlined above to make the changes.

In some instances, where a property has not previously been connected to council's water network and has not paid an access charge, section 64 Developer Contributions may be levied on any development on the land. In order to check if this is applicable to your property, or if you have any questions regarding water service connections, please contact us on 1300 133 455.

Water meter replacement program

The water meter replacement program is being undertaken to replace all meters more than 15 years old, and ensure we are obtaining accurate water use readings for your quarterly accounts.

About the program

It has been found that water meters do wear out after extended use, and we regularly test our customers meters to make sure we meet the Australian standards, which state meters should be accurate to within plus or minus two per cent.
Recently our tests have shown older meters are exceeding this standard after about 12-14 years. As a result we have introduced a program to replace all meters after 15 years, which will ensure readings are accurate.
When meters start to fail the readings are often inaccurate, and when this occurs it is in the favour of the customer - in other words, you may have been charged for less water than you have actually been using. As there is a chance your old meter had started to fail, you may find your next water account is slightly higher - both in usage and cost - as a result of the improved measurement of your new meter.
The more accurate meters provide equity to customers as currently those customers with older meters are not paying the full amount for their water usage compared to customers with newer meters. 

How it works

MidCoast Council will automatically replace all meters over 15 years old. Can Doo Services has been engaged to complete this work under contract for the 2017-18 financial year.
If you are at home when the contractor arrives to undertake the work, they will let you know when they will temporarily disconnect your water to allow removal of the old meter and replacement with the new meter, and when water service is restored. Unless technical difficulties are encountered, the entire process of removal and replacement generally only takes 15 to 20 minutes.
Authority to enter your property for the purpose of replacing the water meter is issued under section 191A of the Local Government Act 1993. The authority is issued to two employees of Can Doo Services. This authority is issued pursuant to the powers conferred on MidCoast Council to exercise its functions for the provision of water supply services within the MidCoast Council local government area.
At no time does the contractor’s employee need to or permitted to enter your house.
If you would like more information on this program please contact us on 1300 133 455.

Liquid trade waste

Liquid trade waste is defined as all liquid waste other than sewage of a domestic nature.

MidCoast Council is responsible for regulating liquid trade waste in the Manning, Great Lakes and Gloucester communities.

Anyone wishing to discharge liquid trade waste to our sewerage systems must, under section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993 (the Act), obtain prior approval from MidCoast Council. Discharging liquid trade waste without an approval is an offence under section 626 of the Act.

To discuss your requirements, please on 1300 133 455.

For more information see our Liquid Trade Waste Approvals(PDF, 139KB) information document.

The Policy for Liquid Trade Waste can be found here

The Application to Discharge Liquid Trade Waste to MidCoast Water Services' Sewerage Systems can be found here.

Liquid trade waste transporters approved to work within the MidCoast Council area:

  • J R Richard and Sons - 6555 7007
  • Cleanaway - 1800 003 283
  • Mid Coast Liquid Waste - 0412 460 873 or 6553 6388
  • Hunter Liquid Waste (desludge only)  - 4938 5151
  • Thiess Services - 4921 7600
  • Doyle Natural Resource Solutions - 0428 389 531

Sewer service diagrams

Applying for a sewer service diagram or sewer location diagram (drainage diagram)

To apply for a sewer service diagram or sewer location diagram (sewer drainage diagram) please submit an application.

Lodging sewer service diagrams

From 1 August 2018, there are new rules for lodging sewer service diagrams to MidCoast Council.

Sewer service diagrams will need to be submitted on one of NSW Fair Trading's templates - found here.

These diagrams will also need to include details of existing drainage and are required to be authorised by the licenced plumbing contractors.

The sewer service diagram, along with the contractors Certificate of Compliance, will be required to be submitted to our Plumbing Inspector at the time of final inspection.

You can contact us on 1300 133 455 should you have any questions that aren't answered below or require further information.

Frequently Asked Questions

What if the Sewer Service Diagram won’t fit on either A4 or A3?

Where Sewer Service Diagram cannot be drawn onto either A4 or A3, larger paper sizes are permitted (A2 and A1). Where larger sizes beyond A3 are used, these should be submitted to us electronically as a pdf document.

As the licenced plumbing contractor do I have to draw the Sewer Service Diagram myself?

No, you do not have to draw the Sewer Service Diagram yourself, however you must authorise it prior to submission to us. You may engage a drafting consultant or someone else to complete the Sewer Service Diagram on your behalf.

Does the Sewer Service Diagram have to be drawn to scale?

Yes, the Sewer Service Diagram must be drawn to scale. NSW Fair Trading has preferred scales of 1:100, 1:200, 1:250 and 1:500. Other scales may be utilised, however the range prescribed by NSW Fair Trading should be sufficient for most development types.

Does the Sewer Service Diagram have to include existing drainage details?

Yes, the Sewer Service Diagram must include all details of existing drainage. Where a Sewer Service Diagram of an existing property is not available the licensee conducting new work must investigate the existing work to ensure connection and operation and show the assumed drainage on his Sewer Service Diagram as a dashed line (refer to the NSW Fair Trading Sewer Service Diagram Requirements fact sheet).

Backflow prevention

MidCoast Council’s Backflow Prevention Policy requires all properties connected to our water supply network to have appropriate backflow prevention devices in place.

What is backflow?

Backflow is the reverse flow of potentially contaminated liquid into the drinking water supply network. It is considered a serious threat to public health and can occur when:

  • The pressure in a property’s internal plumbing system is higher than the pressure of the water supply network
  • There is reduced pressure in the water supply network, often as the result of a burst main or during a period of excessive demand

Backflow prevention requirements

In order to meet our obligations under the Australian Drinking Water Guidelines, Council is responsible for determining what level of backflow prevention is required at a property to protect the drinking water supply network.

If a property is assessed as a ‘medium hazard’ or ‘high hazard’, the customer is responsible for the installation of a testable backflow prevention device installed within the property boundary in accordance with AS/NZS 3500.1 and the Plumbing Code of Australia.

This device must be certified and installed by a licensed plumber who has undertaken accredited backflow training. It must then be registered with Council.

Annual testing, certification and registration

All testable backflow prevention devices require annual testing, certification and registration. This process must be carried out by a licensed plumber who has undertaken accredited backflow training and is registered within our database.

All customers will be notified 30 days prior to the date their annual registration is due. Failure to provide certification by the due date may result in compliance action being taken and the application of appropriate fees.

Customers will be required to pay an annual registration fee of $70 for each backflow prevention device. This fee covers the administration costs associated with the program. Currently, there is a 12-month moratorium in place for existing backflow prevention customers in the MidCoast local government area.

We have recently transitioned to a QR code system to manage our backflow prevention program. This system simplifies the annual testing, certification and registration process and provides real-time updates on the status of backflow prevention devices that impact our network, including those which have not been registered. To find out more, visit

Further information:

Backflow Prevention Procedure(PDF, 188KB)