Dog and cat registration and microchipping

One of the responsibilities of pet ownership, is microchipping and registration. This means we can find you if your pet strays or gets lost. You also need to let us know if you move, you no longer own your pet, or your pet dies.

Two easy ways to undertake all transactions:

  • Visit the NSW Government's NSW Companion Animals Register or
  • complete the relevant form below and bring it to any Council customer service office.

Step 1 – Microchipping & identification (required by 12 weeks)

A vet or accredited implanter can microchip your pet and fill out a Permanent Identification form.  The vet or implanter will forward the form to Council to have your pet entered on the NSW Companion Animals Register. You will then be sent a Certificate of Identification and Lifetime Registration form.

Step 2 – Registration

To register your pet, you need to complete and lodge the Lifetime Registration Form(PDF, 162KB).

Alternatively, you can complete registration (and all updating) directly with the NSW Government, online at 

Some discounts apply for desexed animals and also for owners who are pensioners. To receive these you will need to present evidence by way of a desexing certificate or a pensioner card.

Desexing age for registration

The desexing age for:

  • a dog is 6 months of age
  • a cat is 4 months of age, if it was born on or after 4 July 2016, and
  • a cat is 6 months of age, if it was born before 4 July 2016 

Please refer to Council's Fees and Charges(PDF, 2MB) for registration fees.

Your 'working dog' does have to be registered, however no registration fees apply. A ‘working dog’ means that your dog is used primarily for the purpose of droving, tending, working or protecting stock. A Statutory Declaration(PDF, 129KB) will need to be completed.

Guide dogs also need to be registered, but no fee applies. 

Change of address or owner

You need to let Council know, within 14 days, if you give away or sell your pet.

If you change address you will need to complete the Change of Address Form(PDF, 320KB) . This should be done within 14 days of moving or penalties may apply.

It is the responsibility of the original or “old” owner to ensure the Change of Owner form(PDF, 136KB) is signed and completed by both parties. Changes of phone number should also be done on the Change of Owner Form(PDF, 136KB).

All forms together with proof should be mailed to Council. Alternatively, the whole process can be completed at any of our customer service centres.

Death of animal

Owners of companion animals (dog or cat) are required to notify the Council within 28 days of the death of an identified or registered companion animal.

Clause 30 of the Companion Animals Regulation 2008 provides that notification of the death of an animal may be made in writing, by completing the Notice of Deceased Animal form(PDF, 1MB)

Council also requires a copy of the Certificate of Euthanasia from the Veterinarian or a Statutory Declaration stating that the animal is deceased/deceased date, signed by a Justice of the Peace.

Bought or been given a pet but have not received any paperwork - what should you do?

You need to have your contact details added to your new pet's profile in the Companion Animal's Register, for the future welfare of the animal.

If you have bought or been given a dog or cat and you have not received any paperwork regarding the transfer of ownership on the NSW Companion Animals Register, you should contact the previous owner to ensure a Change of Owner/Details (C3A)(PDF, 136KB) form is sent to council.

If you can't contact the previous owner, you will need to complete a Statement of animal ownership form(PDF, 1MB)  and submit this to Council.  We will add your details to your pet's information. You will need to know your pet's microchip number.  Your vet can assist with this.

Changes to requirements for the sale of cats and dogs

As a result of the Parliamentary Inquiry into Companion Animal Breeding Practices, from 1 July 2019, people advertising kittens, cats, puppies or dogs for sale or to give away in NSW will need to include an identification number in advertisements.

The identification number can be either:

  • a microchip number
  • a breeder identification number, OR
  • a rehoming organisation number.

The rules will apply to all advertisements, including those in newspapers, local posters, community notice boards and all forms of online advertising, including public advertisements on websites such as the Trading Post, Gumtree and social media sites.

For further information about the changes, visit the Department of Primary Industries website.