Accessing Council Information

The Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (NSW) (GIPA Act) makes information available to the public (unless it is not in the public interest to do so).

Try searching our site for this information:

Informal release of information requests

If you do not find the information you are seeking on our website, you can apply for access to that information with us. This is known as an Informal Request for information.

If documents are subject to copyright, you may not be given a copy but you can still view the document. We can generally provide you with information about the copyright owner and you can request permission directly. Usually plans, engineering reports, environmental studies and surveys are subject to copyright.

Make an informal request for access to information:

It is important that you provide an accurate description of the information you are requesting. Please do not ask for "all the documents" as requests must be for specific information or groups of documents.

Informal applications are dealt with in order of receipt. Normally you can expect a turnaround time of approximately 20 working days. 

Formal release of information requests

The release of all other information can be made by completing a Formal Request for Access to Information. These requests generally for:

  • Large volumes of information that involves extensive search.

  • Information which could not be provided informally.

  • Material that is sensitive in nature and requires careful balancing of public interest considerations.

Application and processing fees apply for formal requests
  • The application fee is $30. This includes 1 hour of researching. After this an additional $30 per hour is charged.

  • Formal GIPA applications should be completed in 20 working days from the date we receive the application.

  • If consultation with a third party is required, a further 15 days is allowed.

You will receive a formal determination letter with the requested documents or reasons why a document has been withheld.

Make a formal request for access to Information

Your review rights

If access to information has been refused, or you are not satisfied with the information received, an appeal against the decision can be lodged by completing a Request for Internal Review Application. A $40.00 fee is payable for an internal review.

Following the Internal Review decision, if you are still not satisfied, you may appeal to either the Information and Privacy Commissioner or the Civil and Administrative Decisions Tribunal.


Inquiries can be directed to our Governance Section on (02) 7955 7777 or

You can find out more about the GIPA Act from the Information and Privacy Commissioner at by email at or by calling 1800 472 679 between 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday (excluding Public Holidays).