Your water account

To advise us of a change of address for your rates and water bills, please use the form here.

How to pay your bill

Australia Post

Payment may be made at any Australia Post Office by cash, cheque or credit card, by phoning 13 18 16 or by going to Australia Post Billpay

Use the Billpay code and reference number printed on your bill.

Telephone payment can be made from your cheque account, savings account, Visa or Mastercard account. Use the Billpay Code and Reference number printed on your bill when prompted.

By credit card

Payment by credit card is available at MidCoast Council administration buildings, at any Australia Post Office or by telephone or on the Internet using Australia Post Billpay or BPAY.

In person

Payment may be made at MidCoast Council administration buildings or at Australia Post - details are available by phoning 1300 133 455.

By mail

Detach payment slip at bottom of account and include this slip with your payment. Cheques should be crossed 'not negotiable' and made payable to MidCoast Water Services. Keep the top portion of the account (with details of cheque, etc.) for your record. No receipts will be issued unless specifically requested.

Using BPAY

BPAY is a centralised bill payment service which enables customers of participating financial institutions to pay their account by telephone.
To use BPAY, contact your financial institution and ask for access to their telephone banking service. Once you have access to the service, you simply:

  • Call your financial institution phone banking service
  • Quote the BILLER CODE found in the BPAY box on your account
  • Quote your reference number found in the BPAY box on your account
  • Quote the amount of your bill

Your financial institution then transfers funds from the nominated account straight to us.

BPAY can be operated from any nominated bank account, including credit card accounts

By direct debit

Details of what is required to arrange direct transfers from your financial institution can be found on the Direct Debit Request form located on the customer forms page. Please note: payments made other than at MidCoast Water Services may take up to three working days to be credited/cleared from your account.

Centrepay system

The Centrepay system allows customers on social security to have their water and sewerage accounts paid direct to us from their pension or other social security payments. The amounts deducted by Centrelink will be forwarded electronically to MidCoast Water Services on a daily basis. This is provided at no cost to you and is voluntary.

Application forms are available at MidCoast Council administration buildings.

An easy way for customers to work out their deduction would be to add up their annual account.
e.g. if your bill was approximately $458 per quarter x 4 = $1832 per year (based on the average account receiving both water and sewer charges)
Then divide by 26 (fortnightly payments per year)

TOTAL = $70 per fortnight

If you are having problems estimating the amount you should be deducting, MidCoast Council can discuss with you an appropriate amount to suit your budget. Contact us on 1300 133 455.

Water & Sewer Charges

Water supply charges

Connected land: land supplied with water from a water main belonging to MidCoast Council is subject to a two part charge consisting of an annual water access charge, based on the size of the water meter, and a usage charge, based on water consumed.

Unconnected land: an annual unconnected water access charge may apply to land that is situated within 225 metres of a water main belonging to MidCoast Council, whether that land is connected to the water supply or not.

Refer to our fees and charges for the annual unconnected water access charge, access charge (based on meter size), usage charges, and industrial tariff.

Sewerage charges

Land from which sewage is discharged into a sewer main belonging to MidCoast Council is subject to an annual sewer connected charge. A sewer unconnected charge may apply to land that is situated within 75 metres of a sewer main belonging to MidCoast Council, whether that land is connected to the sewer or not.

Refer to our fees and charges for residential connected, unconnected and approved pump charges.

Granny flats

Properties with granny flats that are not used as multiple occupancies may be eligible for re-classification as single residences, thus reducing their sewer charges. You will need to apply for re-classification as a single residence (conditions apply). For further details contact us on 1300 133 455.

Sewer volumetric charges

These charges are applicable to motels, hotels, non-strata titled units, caravan parks, licensed clubs, laundries, schools, hospitals, nursing homes, community swimming pools, shopping complexes, preschools, restaurants, service stations, factories, car wash facilities, medical centres and multiple occupancies.

The sewer volumetric charging system consists of two components; an access charge and a usage charge. Refer to our fees and charges.

Discharge factor

Access charges are multiplied by a discharge factor. This discharge factor is assessed on the percentage of water purchased from MidCoast Council discharged into the sewer. The factor depends on the nature of the business.

Discharge factors can be obtained by contacting us on 1300 133 455.

Usage charge

Usage charges are in addition to any trade waste charges which may apply.

Special rates

A special rate applies to some areas where new sewerage schemes have taken place - such as Crowdy Head, Pelican Bay and Barrington.

Your water meter 

Don't fence them in

Fences add to your property's value, security and privacy, but they can make access to water meters difficult. Our staff will need to visit your property to read the water meter every three months. We may also need to carry out repairs on your meter. Please consider these issues when installing your new fence. If you have any concerns about access, give us a call.

Don't hide them away

It's important that we have easy access to your water meter. If we can't take a reading, we may have to issue you with an estimated account. Please keep the area around your water meter clear. Don't place obstructions such as caravans, cars, trailers, rubbish bins, cartons etc. around the meter. Be careful when backing your car, caravan or trailer. Accidental collisions can break your meter and flood your front yard! You may be asked to pay for any emergency repairs if this happens.

Keep dogs under control

Most people just love dogs, but they can be a bit protective of their yards. We are concerned for the safety of our meter readers, so if your dog is a little over-protective, we won't be able to come into your yard and read your meter. Also, we may not be able to carry out emergency repairs to your meter. If your dog is not normally restrained during the day, please call us to arrange safe access.

Keep your gardens trim

Healthy gardens are attractive and rewarding, but please spare a thought for the meter reader when selecting plants. Spikey plants, such as rose bushes or cactus, can make life pretty painful when you are trying to read a meter. Overgrown bushes, or shrubs which attract bees, can also be a problem. Please keep the area around your meter clear and accessible.

Your responsibilities

Customers must allow safe access to the metering point and other equipment which remains the property of MidCoast Water Services. If access is restricted, estimated accounts will be issued. These accounts may not accurately reflect your water usage. From the water meter into the home is the responsibility of the property owner. If you think you have a leak or problem, consider contacting a plumber to investigate for you.

How to read your meter

Your water meter is read four times a year by a member of our dedicated meter reading team.

However, many MidCoast Council customers like to read their own meter on a regular basis to keep track of the amount of water they are using - or perhaps to monitor the effects of water saving devices they may have fitted.

We encourage customers to monitor their consumption as it helps to identify which activities may use the most water and can help to indicate where savings can be made. To learn how to read your water meter, watch this video or see the details below.

MidCoast Council levies a charge for each kilolitre of water that you use. 1 kilolitre = 1000 litres.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

The white numbers on your water meter represent kilolitres. (1 kilolitre = 1000 litres). The above example reads 1,234 kilolitres.
The red numbers read litres. The above example reads 567.8 litres.

Other typical 20mm, 25mm, 32mm and 40mm meters

1 2 3 4 5 6


The white numbers read Kilolitres (1 kilolitre = 1000 litres). The above example reads 1,234 kilolitres.

The red numbers read litres. The above example reads 560 litres.

Typical 50mm and 80mm meter

1 2 3 4 5 6


The white numbers read Kilolitres (1 kilolitre = 1000 litres). The above example reads 12,345 kilolitres.

The red numbers read litres. The above example reads 600 litres.

Water leaks on your property

It's important to note that customers regularly have leaks in excess of 2,000 litres per day with no evidence of water on the surface.

Pipes crack underground, often under driveways and walls, and the water simply flows underground and does not surface.

It is important for customers to proactively check their water meter for possible leaks on a regular basis. 

Concealed leaks that are hidden in walls or underground can go undetected for long periods of time, and can waste thousands of litres of water a day. Concealed leaks on private property are the property owner's responsibility, so we recommend you read your water meter and check for concealed leaks regularly by using the simple steps listed below.

Note: Concealed leaks caused by broken or cracked pipes on the customer’s side of the water meter are the responsibility of the property owner.

Checking for concealed leaks on your property

Follow these guidelines to catch leaks early:

  1. Check your property for visible water leaks from taps, toilets, showers and irrigation systems.
  2. Turn off all taps, water appliances and irrigation at your property.
  3. Read the water meter and record the reading. Leave the water meter tap on.
  4. Wait at least one hour before reading your water meter again – remember not to use any water, even to flush the toilet.
  5. If the reading has changed there could be a water leak. Contact a licensed plumber to find and repair the leak. Many leaks occur under the ground and can be difficult to find.

Toilet cistern leaks

Toilet cistern leaks are common and can be easily checked by following these steps:

  1. Pour food colouring into the toilet cistern.
  2. If colour appears in the toilet bowl before flushing, you have a leak.
  3. Flush as soon as the test has been completed as food colouring may stain the cistern.
  4. We recommend that you regularly check for leaks using these simple steps.

We recommend that you regularly check for leaks using these simple steps.

Leaks on private property are the owner's responsibility and we suggest you contact a licensed plumber to investigate.