Old Bar Road, town centre
Works to reconstruct a 390m section of Old Bar Road in the town's centre kicked off with the relocation of water services during March. The section being targeted for improvement extends from Sheppard Street to David Street.
Works to date: Our crews have lowered water crossings so the new road can be constructed at an appropriate depth for durability and to deliver an extensive design life. The water main through the Waterman and Cross Street intersection was also replaced. Doing this now minimises the need to dig up the new road for water main repairs in the future.
Works to come: With the water services component now complete, contractors (Goldspring Group) will commence the road reconstruction works after the school holidays and Easter. The road pavement will be reconstructed to provide a smoother, safer and quieter road surface in this busy part of Old Bar, along with improved drainage and pedestrian safety. The scope of works includes:
- Replacement of the existing deteriorated road pavement
- Full road reconstruction finished with an asphalt overlay
- Installation of sub-soil drainage
- Reconstruction of the speed hump at the David Street end
- Replacing the pedestrian crossing near Waterman and Cross Street
- Renewed line-marking
These important works will be undertaken from 28 April and will continue over 10 weeks (weather permitting) for completion in mid-July 2020.
Works have been planned to minimise disruption to businesses, motorists and pedestrians however lane closures and parking restrictions will be in place.
- Shops and businesses in the work zone will remain open as usual
- The project has been split into two segments, targeting David to Waterman St first, followed by Waterman to Sheppard St
- Single lane access will be available for through-traffic, with traffic control in place
- Footpaths and pedestrian access will be maintained on both sides of the street at all times
- Works will take place 7am - 6pm Monday to Friday, and 8am - 1pm on Saturday (no work on Sundays / Public Holidays)
- While parking restrictions along Old Bar Road will be in place, side-street parking is available and shoppers are encouraged to keep "shopping local" as they always have
As with any roadworks, timings can change. Please check back here for further updates.
Old Bar Road, OLD BAR 2430 View Map