Top shelf upgrade for Wingham Library
Published on 28 April 2022
In great news for library-lovers, Wingham Library is set to undergo a major renovation, commencing in May, almost doubling in size yet maintaining its heritage charm.
The $1,000,000 renovation includes a ground-floor extension, featuring new accessible shelving and a disabled access toilet, and restoration of the library’s top-floor. Upstairs is currently unused by the community but will soon include additional study areas, relaxation seating and a large meeting room with the capacity to host events.
"At present, Wingham Library is housed in a beautiful building which the community love, however the space could be better utilised for modern library activities,” said Council’s Manager of Libraries, Chris Jones.
The top floor will be accessible by a new internal lift. The roof of the existing extension will also be replaced.
While construction on the ground-floor extension will start in the next few weeks, library-goers can continue using the library until the end of May.
From June, the library will be closed for around 11 weeks as major works progress, including cleaning, repainting, re-carpeting and refurbishment.
It is expected to reopen mid-August, weather permitting.
“We will keep the Wingham community informed of the works and have made plans to minimise disruption to Library services,” said Mr Jones.
Wingham Library customers will be supported through the transition:
- borrowing periods for loans will be extended to 12 September
- members will be able to borrow 40 items just prior to the facility closing
- all items borrowed can be returned to Taree Library, or any other branch of MidCoast Council Libraries
- items that have been reserved by Wingham members can be collected from Taree Library
- there will be a double delivery for Home Library Service users just prior to closing (27 May) and a further double delivery in late July (approximately 22 July) – a courier will be used to deliver and return items to Taree
- quarterly rate payments will be due at the end of May - customers can pay at the library by Friday 27 May, or at the post office next door to the library in the last two days prior to closure
The project is jointly funded by MidCoast Council and the State Government with $500,000 coming from the 2019/20 Public Library Infrastructure Grant Program from the NSW Government, $400,000 from the Wingham area developer contributions and $100,000 from the library general budget.
For more information, go to Wingham Library renovation and expansion | Have Your Say (nsw.gov.au)