What collection services are provided in the MidCoast?

Residential and rural residential households are entitled to three bins.

These include:

  • 1 x red bin for general waste
  • 1 x yellow bin for recycling, collected fortnightly
  • 1 x green bin for garden organics waste, collected fortnightly

Rural areas will have:

  • 1 x red bin for general waste
  • 1 x yellow bin for recycling, collected fortnightly

What can I place in the red landfill bin?

Your red bin is for general waste products and kitchen scraps. All waste in this bin goes to landfill.

General waste includes:

  • Food waste (if you do not have a home compost or worm farm)
  • Plastic bags and other non-recyclable plastics
  • Foam trays including meat trays
  • Pyrex, ceramics or pottery
  • Broken toys
  • Nappies
  • Clothes and rags
  • Plastic buckets
  • Any glass except bottles and jars (including plate glass, windows, mirrors, drinking glasses)
  • Takeaway coffee cups and lids

What can I place in the yellow recycling bin?

All recyclable items such as:

  • Paper and cardboard - newspapers, magazines, milk / juice cartons, and cardboard boxes
  • Plastics - rigid plastic containers from your kitchen, bathroom and laundry (lids go in the red landfill bin)
  • Steel - food cans, empty aerosol cans, jar lids, coffee tins
  • Aluminium - soft drink / beer cans, clean foil
  • Glass - bottles and jars only (all colours)

What can I place in the green organics bin?

The following items can be placed in the garden organics waste bin:

  • Lawn / grass clippings
  • Prunings and branches
  • Leaves and weeds

The weight of bin cannot exceed 75 kilograms, so be mindful of this as some green waste can be heavy.

I don't have any garden waste - do I have to have this service?

You do not have to use three bins if you do not want to, however you will still be rated for this service whether it is fully utilised or not.

Can I swap my garden waste service for an additional waste or recycling service?

No. The annual domestic waste charge is levied based on the three-bin service (general waste, recycling and garden organics waste). These services cannot be swapped as they are charged at different rates by the contractor. In addition, the range of services are provided to assist in reducing the amount of waste going to landfill.

We have a large family - can we have additional services if required?

Yes. You may have additional general waste, recycling and / or garden organics waste service if required (fees apply).

I'm in a unit / apartment - can I have a green organics bin?

Yes, you can talk to us about having a green organics waste collection service. We can talk to you about the number of bins suitable for the premises.

Is there a bulky waste collection?

An annual metal and bulky waste collection takes place each year for all those who receive a domestic waste service. More information can be found here.

What do I do if my bin is stolen?

Contact the hotline for stolen bins on 131 444 to report your bin missing and receive an event number. Then phone our waste team on 1300 290 763 with your event number and they will organise a replacement bin for you.

I'm unsure if its garden organics waste or recycling week. How can I check?

Check on our Collection Day Search.

What if I don't have enough room for three bins? 

 Arrangements can be made to negotiate the number of bins required. Please contact our customer service centre on 7955 7777.

What do domestic waste services cost?

Fees and charges for domestic waste services are set annually as part of our fees and charges. These are placed on public exhibition for community feedback during May each year, with any changes to charges coming into place from 1 July each year.

Charges for domestic waste services cover the costs we incur for processing recyclable material, kerbside collections, maintenance of parks and street bins, administration costs and operating waste management centres.

See the current fees and charges here.

Why am I charged an annual domestic waste charge when I have a vacant block of land and receive no service?

The Local Government Act requires Council to levy a domestic waste charge on all rateable properties where the service is deemed available, including vacant land.

The charge, applicable to vacant land, is designed to meet a proportion of the administrative and fixed costs associated with the provision of a domestic waste service.

Does Council charge GST?

Council does charge GST on the commercial waste charges. No GST is applied to the domestic collection charges.

What is the waste and environment levy?

The State Government implements a waste and environment levy on all landfills to drive innovation in waste management and deliver improved environmental outcomes.

This levy aims to reduce the amount of waste being disposed to landfill and promote recycling and resource recovery. The levy increases each year and is set by the State Government.

I don't go to the landfill - why is the levy included in the annual domestic waste charge?

All the waste you place in your bins is collected and taken to a landfill, so it attracts a levy.

When I take a load of rubbish to the landfill why am I levied again?

This is additional waste that has been generated and not collected during the weekly kerbside collection service. As a result, the levy applies.

Are there any exemptions to the levy?

Items that can be re-used and sold through the tip shop does not attract the waste and environment levy. Items that are not disposed of in the current landfill cells are are stockpiled and removed from the site. For example, scrap metal, whitegoods, concrete bricks and tiles, batteries, gas bottles, chemicals, motor oil, tyres, E-waste, do not attract the levy. Other exemptions also apply in respect of approved charity organisations, community service waste (Clean Up Australia Day waste), liquid waste, ash residue, dredging spoil and waste from a natural disaster or biological outbreak.

Why is there a charge for the disposal of garden waste?

Garden waste that is delivered to the landfill either via the fortnightly kerbside collection, the transfer station or directly to the stockpile is required to be processed.