Rates, payments and charges
Rates are our primary source of income and help us provide a diverse range of services and facilities that make the MidCoast an enjoyable place to live, work and play. Click on the links below to find out more about rates and how they are calculated, explore options for paying your rates, and for answers to a range of Frequently Asked Questions. For help in understanding your rate notice and what the various line items mean, download our 'How to read your rate notice' guide.
** Important changes to rates from 1 July 2021 **
General rates: A new, harmonised rate structure applies from 1 July 2021, to be phased in over four years. Find out more here.
Categorisation for rating purposes: As part of the rate harmonisation process, the category or sub-category applied to some properties has changed. If you think the category applied to your property is incorrect, you can request a review by completing and submitting the Change in Category of Land for Rating Purposes form. If we do not change the category after reviewing your application, you can lodge an appeal to the Land and Environment Court within 30 days of receiving our decision.
Waste / Stormwater charges: Annual charges for waste management and stormwater management also appear on your annual rate notice. To address inconsistencies in how these charges were applied previously, they have been aligned from 1 July 2021 and you may notice some changes on your annual rate notice. Find out more here.
Changes to codes for rates payments
Updated 29 April 2021
We have recently changed over to a new IT system and as a result there are some important changes with your rates notice.
- Your Property ID / Assessment No has changed (this is the number located at the top right of your rate notice)
- For BPAY payments, our biller code as well as your reference number has changed. If you have this saved to your computer or banking app, please delete the current details and add in the new biller code (351106) and your new reference number. Please note the old biller code has now been cancelled, so please use the new number for any future payments. Any payments you have made up to now using the old biller code have been applied to your property.
Due dates for rates FY2021/2022
Rates are paid every year and can be paid in full or by quarterly instalments. Payment dates for quarterly instalments are:
- 1st Instalment – 31 August
- 2nd Instalment – 30 November
- 3rd Instalment – 28 February
- 4th Instalment – 31 May
Interest on overdue rates
Interest will be charged on any arrears overdue as at 30 June at the rate of 6% pa. Instalments not paid by their due dates will incur interest charges calculated daily at the rate of 6% pa from the instalment due date.
Your Property Information
View our quarterly newsletter that comes with your rates and instalment notices.