Local Council election: Saturday 4 December

NSW Local Government Elections are generally conducted every four years and voting is compulsory.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and Public Health Orders, the NSW Electoral Commission has announced all Local Government elections in New South Wales will be postponed.

The next general election will be held on Saturday 4 December 2021.

All election information, including information about candidates, pre-poll/early voting options and polling locations is managed by the NSW Electoral Commission.

2021 NSW Local Government elections

Local Government election candidates

Candidate information is managed by the NSW Electoral Commission. 

View candidate information 

Check if you can vote 

If you are a resident in the MidCoast Council Local Government Area you can check if your enrolment details are up to date with the Australian Electoral Commission.

Please note that MidCoast Council does not hold electoral information for local residents.

Check my enrolment

Voting as a non-resident in a Council Area

You are eligible to vote as a non-resident in a council area if you are:

  • an owner of rateable land in the council area
  • an occupier or rate-paying lessee of rateable land in the council area.

Non-residential roll

Applications to enrol for the non-residential roll for the 4 December 2021 elections have now closed. 

Non-residential roll applications for the 2024 elections will open from 5 December 2021.

Non-residential rolls provide people who are non-resident owners, occupiers and rate-paying lessees of rateable land within the MidCoast Council area an opportunity to have a say in who is elected to Council.

There are two non-residential rolls: the roll of non-resident owners of rateable land; and the roll of occupiers and rate-paying lessees.

These two rolls are combined with the residential roll to form the roll of electors for the Council area, which is used during an election.

The residential roll is the list of people who live in the Council area and are eligible to vote in elections.

Further information on the non-residential rolls can be viewed here.

Election signage

To control the erection of election signage during Federal, State and Local Government elections, road reserve areas are subject to lodgment of a bond and other conditions of compliance with Council.

Election posters are permitted in road reserves during election campaign periods if:

  • an application is made to do so, accompanied by the payment of a refundable bond 
  • the signage conforms with the principles outlined in the below policy and any guidelines issued by the NSW and Australian Electoral Commissions

Election Candidate Campaign Signage Application(PDF, 806KB)

Election Candidate Campaign Signage Policy(PDF, 39KB)