Emergencies on the MidCoast

Although Council is often the first organisation people think to contact when a natural event causes damage in their neighbourhood, we are not the lead agency responsible for community assistance in emergencies.

We generally play a supporting role in the response to emergency events. This support may include providing equipment and personnel to the lead agency coordinating the emergency response.

It is important to remember that Council is not responsible for the response to any type of emergency.
If you need immediate help, or to prepare your home and family for emergencies, - please refer to the menu below.

Council facilitates and supports the Local Emergency Management Committee (LEMC), which is comprised of representatives of each emergency service and supporting agencies that operate within the local government area.

In order to ensure the most efficient emergency response possible, a defined and established protocol exists for attending to emergencies and assisting residents.

The LEMC develops and implements the Local Emergency Management Plan, which details arrangements to coordinate response and recovery operations during major emergency events.

Should you experience a storm, fire, flood or tsunami or other natural event that impacts on your home, neighbourhood or public infrastructure, the following information will help you identify the responsible organisation to assist you.


If you observe an untended fire, call 000 immediately and report. Attempt to put the fire out if you can do safely, and with no danger to yourself.

The NSW Rural Fire Service provides current information regarding:

  • current major Incident activity;
  • current Total Fire Bans;
  • advice on protecting your property and other fire related safety information; and
  • building Development.

For more information, call the Rural Fire Service Information Line on 1800 679 737 or visit www.rfs.nsw.gov.au

For information about current Bushfire threats visit: http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-information/fires-near-me or download the Fires near me mobile app.

During a fire, your town water supply may suddenly be cut off. If this occurs, you can report it by calling us on 1300 133 455.


The NSW State Emergency Service (SES) is the lead combat agency for flood, storm and tsunami emergencies.

Visit https://www.ses.nsw.gov.au/disaster-tabs-header/storm/ to find out on what to do before, during and after a storm.

Council's role 

Council may assist the SES, if requested by them, in clearing up storm damage, fallen trees and other tasks.

We will sometimes make special arrangements for disposing of waste generated by storms. These arrangements are dependent on other contributing factors and stakeholders, and do not take place automatically after a storm event. There is also likely to be a delay after the storm event before any special waste disposal arrangements are considered.

When you dispose of green waste at a waste management centre, Council is collecting a fee on behalf of the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA). During bad storm or emergency events the EPA may consent to waive the green waste disposal fee. When this occurs, Council can allow free disposal of storm damage green waste.

Flood and Tsunami

The NSW State Emergency Service (SES) is the lead combat agency for flood, storm and tsunami emergencies.

Visit the SES website for a complete guide on what to do before, during and after a flood: https://www.ses.nsw.gov.au/disaster-tabs-header/flood/

Visit the SES website for a complete guide on what to do before, during and after a tsunami: https://www.ses.nsw.gov.au/disaster-tabs-header/tsunami/

Council's role

During a flood event, you may notice sewer overflows from a local pump station. If this occurs, you can report it by calling us on 1300 133 455.

Council's role is to investigate the risk of flooding and to prepare for future floods. We do this through land use planning, development control and flood mitigation works. Although we cannot predict exactly when, where or how big the next flood will be, we can estimate the likelihood of different sizes of floods and their consequences so we can plan ahead.

What we do to reduce flood risk

We are constantly working on updating and improving our understanding on flood risk within the MidCoast region area. Flood Management Plans are developed and reviewed as necessary.

For more information, please visit our Flooding management web page.

Injury to persons

If someone is injured, check the surrounding area for danger to yourself before approaching. Take these steps to obtain assistance:

Response - Is the person conscious? Speak to them, and squeeze their hands.

Call for Help - Call 000 and request an ambulance at once.  The operator will instruct you on what to do.

Public safety

If you observe something (fallen power lines, toppling structures) that is a danger to other people:

Keep yourself well clear of the danger. Call 000 and ask for police and report the danger.  The operator will guide you on what to do. Warn others not to approach the dangerous area.

Damage to power lines or power outage

If power lines are damaged or brought down by storm or other natural events, DO NOT go near, or make any contact with, the lines. 

Keep people and animals away.

Call 000 and advise police, or the SES, immediately.

If you experience power outage, you need to call your energy provider.

Telephone / Internet lines down or lack of service

Call your telecommunications provider to report any outage.

Roads closed

Reconsider non-essential travel

During and immediately after significant floods and storms, please avoid non-essential journeys to affected areas. 

Floodwater can damage roads, make causeways impassable and people that have tried to cross flooded roads have been swept away - remember - if it's flooded, forget it.  

Trees, power lines and other debris can restrict access to affected areas after a severe storm.

Plan your trip

If travel is essential and unavoidable, it is important to plan your route before you travel to avoid roads that are likely to be closed.

Here are some handy links to help with planning:

Major Road Closures

Major roads and highways in your local area and any associated closures are often managed by Roads and Maritime Services (RMS)
Roads and Maritime Services www.livetraffic.com.au

Minor Road Closures

Smaller roads in the local area and any associated closures are often managed by Council.
Visit myroadinfo.com.au to stay updated.