Business Essentials

Important things you need to know about how MidCoast Council interacts with businesses in this area.

Expand the bars below for more information.

Commercial Waste Services

MidCoast Council is happy to provide your business with a commercial waste collection service which includes a 240 litre red lid bin and 240 litre yellow lid recycling bin.

In most CBD areas, both bins are collected weekly. In other areas, the recycling collection is fortnightly. Additional bins and collections can be arranged if required.

Bulk skip bin services are also available from approved contractors:

  • JR  Richards & Sons - Tuncurry - Tel. (02) 6555 7007

  • Taree Recycling Centre - Taree South - Tel. (02) 6551 3394

  • Transpacific Cleanaway - Tel. (02) 4920 1455

If you require information regarding your specific needs, contact Our Waste Management Team.

Filming Permits

MidCoast Council uses Screen Hunter to approve filming permits.

Screen Hunter is the first point of connection between filmmakers and the MidCoast region providing free support and advice on all aspects of filming in the Hunter.

Screen Hunter are delegated to approve filming permits across all ten Hunter Councils including MidCoast Council, Hunter Region National Parks and Wildlife Services, the Worimi Local Aboriginal Land Council and many other private and public organisations.

Screen Hunter will negotiate with Council for suitable locations, site requirements, costs etc. Costs will be invoiced by Screen Hunter to the production company.

Screen Hunters goal is to make filming in the Hunter seamless, fast and pain free for productions of all types and sizes. A team of experienced professionals are available to make sure that your experience filming in our area is hassle free from helping you to find the perfect location, connect you with local crew and services, and / or get your permit process on the move. From the infancy of an idea, to the emotional goodbye at the wrap party—Screen hunter will partner with you throughout the entire process.

Please contact Screen Hunter for further information.

Screen Hunter - 59 Bonville Avenue, Thornton, NSW, 2322, Australia  +61 2 4978 4014

Food Businesses

Purchasing an existing food business

If you are planning to buy a food business we recommend a Pre-purchase Inspection Report(PDF, 1MB) .

Contact us to organise an inspection.

Opening a new food business or renovating/upgrading a food business

If you want to build or fit out a new food business contact us for advice before you start any work. 

If you are planning significant renovations to your food premises make sure you are allowed to do so before starting work. Significant renovations include:

  • Upgrading or replacing fixtures and fittings within a food preparation area
  • Extending a food preparation area.
Do I need approval?

If you want to open a new food business, you must submit a development application or an application for a complying development certificate before you start any work.

For more information about getting approval see:

For further information

Temporary Food Stalls

Temporary Food Stalls

You will need to supply Council with a notification for a temporary food stall form.

Stall set-up and design must comply with NSW Guidelines for Temporary Food EventsOpen this document with ReadSpeaker docReader, and you will need to attach a drawn plan of the stall and specify how food products & preparation will be protected.

Any food handlers must have appropriate training skills and knowledge in food safety as required. You will need to supply us with copies of the relevant certification with the completed form.

Completed forms should be submitted at a MidCoast Council office or emailed to

Using Council facilities for commercial purposes

If you wish to conduct your business from public land you will need to enter into a licence agreement with Council. 

Some examples when a licence is needed are:

  • Fitness Groups
  • Surf Schools
  • Stand-up Paddle Boards
  • Any activity where you are deriving an income from the use of public space or assets. 

To assist staff when assessing your request it is recommended you supply as much information as possible on your proposed activities including, but not limited to, the following:

  • Type of activity
  • Foreshore area to be used as a base to set up / set down
  • Hours of operation
  • Days of operation
  • Qualifications
  • Level on public liability insurance
  • Class sizes
  • Are you in competition with another operator
  • Equipment used
  • Does the equipment have workcover / safety Certificates?

Please visit our page on holding an event on Council facilities